Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Week 12--Readings

Using a Wiki...
"Many professors are repeat users of library instruction so any stored information is useful."

When I was doing my practicum in the high school library, we were providing instruction on using the library for research on an STD assignment.  This is an assignment that is has been done for years by at least three different teachers.  Janna, the librarian who created the pathfinder for the assignment this year is new, and while at least one teacher did give her some information to work from, some also told her that "Karla (the other librarian) knows what the assignment is."  Finally, the lessons were taught by Janna, Karla and me.  A wiki would have been a great place for us to collaborate on the different aspects of the assignment--what does each teacher expect, what did we find when we were doing the lesson, what questions were asked frequently, etc.  I can certainly see the value of wikis for collaboration between librarians.  Teachers could also be encouraged to participate, which would add additional insight into the project.

Wikipedia

I'm glad I stuck around to the end of this presentation, because his answer to the teacher use question was something I had been wondering as well.  My experiences with Wikipedia and teachers has been split between professors like Dr. He, who use Wikipedia articles to explain difficult concepts, to librarians and teachers at the high school level who talk about Wikipedia like it's the devil and frown upon its use.  My personal experience with it has been favorable, not only for the information the articles provide but also for the resources that the articles point to.  I think it's a great jumping off point for research, and hearing about the whole process behind its creation was very interesting.

Social Tagging...
"But still many students turn to the Internet as a resource, without guidance and without a critical eye."

I found this quite a bit during my practicum.  I would give a great lesson on finding resources for a project, point out the best Web sites and how to find them easily using the pathfinder, but inevitably, several students would start their research by typing, "What are the signs and symptoms of herpes?" into the Google search box.  It's maddening.  While I think social tagging for the library has tremendous potential, I can't imagine high school students using it in a responsible way.  The added steps to add a site to the folksonomy would make participation undesirable for most teen who are looking to find what they need and move on.

7 comments:

  1. Melissa~
    I also agree that since librarians get asked the same questions over and over, a Wiki is good because it allows librarians to collaborate, but it also saves them time: instructions for repeat assignments can be saved, edited, and updated. I think that teachers should be involved with the wiki as well because it could clear up any questions or misconceptions that they have about search methods, software, or other tools needed for the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    I often use Wikipedia for the links it provides at the bottom as well. They are often relevant and point me in the right direction when researching a new topic. I have noticed the "split" as well, and can see each viewpoint. My experience with Wikipedia has been a favorable one as well, and like you said, it is a great resource to at least start your research.
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,

    I also often use Wikipedia as Aimee does. I find it a little ridiculous that some professors/teachers despise Wikipedia so much, when it is a great resource. Like Aimee I find it to be a fantastic jumping off point for research topics, as most of the people cited in the articles are leaders in the field and you can easily find more publications from them. I also found it inspirational that Jimmy Wales wants to do, and has begun, the Wikipedia book project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree about the use of Wikipedia. It's great for simple questions, and the hyperlinks have been a lifesaver for me when doing research. I was also impressed with the potential of using wikis for teaching purposes--it's a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like a few others here I have found Wikipedia to be quite helpful over the years. Its a great place to start and to find leads to other helpful websites. I also admire how they are constantly working toward providing quality information since they are well aware that there is definite room to improve. Overall though the work they have done is quite commendable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of using these social tools in the classroom. Your examples of how they do and do not work are really interesting. In my experience (teaching creative writing and music to high schoolers), students respond well to projects involving real responsibility and creative freedom. Do you think that using a controlled vocabulary for social tagging would make that system work better for your students? That would provide a considerable amount of guidance and control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I have never been a fan of Wikipedia, it has recently been pointed out to me that the links and sources to a page are very helpful. I haven't cared until recently and have found it very beneficial. It is also refreshing to see that you all find this beneficial as well.

    ReplyDelete