Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wikipedia articles

I found the personal computer hardware article to be very helpful.  It's been a while since I've felt like I knew what was going on with my computer, so it's nice to know there's a place I can go to make sure I can at least sound like I know what I'm talking about when I need to call Dell for tech support.  Also, as a future school librarian, there's no telling what I may be called upon to do concerning the technology in my school.  I will need to know what I'm doing.

As for the Moore's Law article, that went over my head.  I would certainly put it in the category of a muddy point.  And I couldn't get the Scientific American video to load, which was disappointing, because I think it would have made things a little clearer.  However, the one thing about this article that stuck with me is the idea of technology obsolescence.  My husband and I purchased our first computer in 1992.  The cost was around $2000 and it had 2 MB of RAM.  Several years later we upgraded the RAM by purchasing an additional 4 MB for $200.  Fastforward 18 years and 5 different computers.  The latest model, purchased a month ago, cost around $1000 and has 8 GB of RAM.  I hate to think of the money we've spent on technology (computers, phones, cameras, iPods,) over the lifetime of our marriage, but I can tell you that the tv we purchased with our wedding money 20 years ago is still working.  The fact that the cost has come down and the speed and storage have gone up doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous that these items are being replaced every two-five years.  It's fiscally and environmentally irresponsible.  I don't know what it is, but I hope there's a solution.

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you Melissa! It is absurd that technology is updated at the rate it is. I must admit though, my contract with Verizon entitles me to a new phone every 2 years (it might be 1.5 now, actually) and what do I do?? Pick out a fun, new phone just because. Is there a problem with my old one? Nope. But they throw in new features, special prices, and such and thus make everyone think that they have to have the newest and latest gadgets. At least my old phone goes to the electronics recycling place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    I worry, too, about the negative environmental impact technology creates. We're the same way in my household--have had multiple PCs, laptops, TVs, VHS/CD/DVD (in that order!) players, portable/cell phones, etc. over the course of the last twenty years. We try to hold out as long as we can upgrading and replacing, but eventually, time marches on and you have to fall in line behind everyone else. We bought a new HDTV last November, and we felt the minute it was delivered that it was obsolete. It was depressing. (And we STILL haven't figured out how to get it, the Blu-Ray, and the sound bar to hook in together!)

    Did you know that you can take your old electronics to Best Buy, and they will--supposedly--recycle them. You give them $10 (for some reason), but they give you a $10 gift card for BB. (And you don't have to buy something first to do this.) We've taken several old TVs to the Bethel Park store (South Hills of Pittsburgh) this year.

    I think I'm the only person at my gym that still carries around an old Classic 20GB (yeah, 20!) iPod. But it works just fine for me, and it's big enough to keep track of in my various bags and purses, so why replace it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't get the video to load either, but you can find it on YouTube. Just search for "what is Moore's Law?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. The obsolescence that you mention at the very end of your post on Moore's law was really a point that jumped out at me in the article. I struggled to believe that it's possible for Moore's law to continue as long as it is speculated that it will, but then the definition of what it encompasses seems to be in flux as well. It certainly seems true that, as consumers, our expectations are that speed and performance should continue to exponentially increase. It might be irresponsible and unsustainable, but it's as much cultural as it is technological (it seems).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tossing aside of cell phones irks me as well. Though I must say, it often seems that the stupid things are only made to even operate entirely properly for a couple years. I have had mine for almost 2 years, am just now able to get a good deal on for a new one, and it just so happens that I have to turn it off to charge or it wants to try to spontaneously download music once plugged in (something I have never done once), and it shuts off on its own if I slide it closed too hard. Otherwise it has been a great and durable phone.
    If it has not major problems, however, I would gladly keep it for the rest of my life. I am not a 'gotta have the new tech' person by any stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That absolesence with regards to technology really irks
    but as my son keeps telling me ' its all about advancements, improvements and capturing the market first'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I think that "advancements" are code for "give us your money." It seems that a new version of the same product comes out every few months with only a few differences, most of which are completely pointless.

    ReplyDelete